12.09.2008

a fun new project

In past posts I helped a friend get home ideas together, well, I am at it again! We will call them Mr. and Mrs. F. They live in a newly built tudor style home. Two bedrooms and baths with a open floor plan make up this darling home. They thought they would be there for only a couple a years, but along with everyone else, have decided to stay much longer. This means they want to like it and have the interior ready and paid for before they try to bring lovely little babies into the world. Mr. and Mrs. F have tons of ideas, but are having trouble making the ideas flow and work for them. This is where I come in to help, I say let's keep it simple. So here it goes, I give you the living room...

For starters, they want a sectional. I love the idea and it will help separate the space a bit. This one is from ikea. Does anyone own a sofa from there? How well do they hold up? I would like it to last, but I also love this price point.


I love the simple and clean shape of this bookcase. Mr. F has an amazing talent for craftsmanship so I would love for him to make two to go on either side of the fireplace. He may be asking right about now, "why make when I can buy?". Well, it's simple really, I would love to see them in real wood and in a darker stain, but I want to see the grain shine through. Very similar to the color on the piece in my front entry way. Mr. and Mrs. F we can measure the size out soon if you like the idea.


They have these beautiful huge windows that look out over the street. I think curtains with this color family would be so pretty. Mrs. F loves greens and blues so something similar to this would add some fun and color into the space.


We then discussed how she needs to keep organized, but has trouble with this in their current home. A place for mail she said specifically. I propose a white desk in front of the window looking out. This is a space just for mail or writing an occasional thank you card or two. Also, with get togethers it will make a great place for snacks. I like the lines of this desk and think it would be fun to find something similar at a flea mall or antique shop to paint white.

A chair similar to this would act as the desk chair and then when extra company arrives it can be turned around to face the seating area. If I recall correctly I saw a similar one in pier 1.

As for paint colors I like rice grain for the walls throughout and mega griege for the trim and mantle, all by Sherwin Williams. Sound familiar? It is what's in my house. I believe it will add the warmth you are looking for, but at the same time give the illusion of more space.

My dear friends so far this may seem too plain, but the way Mrs. F changes her mind I do believe the bigger pieces should be kept simple. Color will be added through pillows and accessories. Maybe a couple of bright blue vases on the mantel. I am also thinking a large dark trunk for a coffee table. I also would add simple hooks along the long the wall
as you come in the door. Adding much more I am afraid it will begin to look crowded. This is only a basic run down, I want to know your thoughts before I proceed with too much detail and work.

8 comments:

Simone said...

Paula, I managed to finish my book this weekend, so the blog is now up and running (finally!). Simone x

Miss | A said...

okay- we totally are teh ikea family! spent way too much money there. actually even did our kitchen in those great blue alluminum(woooh-thats spelled wrong?) cobalt blue glass cabinets. but we love our sofas, they have held up well-we got the leather though so we could wipe off kid stuff. My sister gets the fabric ones though and they look great! west elm has affordable sofas too and teh quality is A+. We have those as our main sofas and LOVE those too. Hope that helps a tad. But we LOVE Ikea and have no bad experiences.

Julia said...

You have some lovely recommendations here! I especially love the white desk :)

Blair Friedeman said...

What a fun project! I love that fabric.

thefloydigans said...

I just showed the hubby, and we both love the ideas! We're so excited to have your help with this. I can't wait to go shopping now! We'll be hitting up Ikea next week for the first time ever! Yea!!

la la Lovely said...

Great finds and ideas as always!!!!! You are so great at this!

Melanie said...

My house..next!? Awesome ideas! LOVE the fabric..and colors! :)

Mrs. Filly said...

I think I will want your help when I finally get a house. You have such cute ideas! I'd rather not conform the condo to my likings since there is a lot a dont like #1 it's a condo..I'd like a house...so I'm going to keep praying that someone who wants to live in a condo will pop into my life :)!